August seasonal gardening tips
Now is a great time to prepare your garden for spring.
If you keep on top of your garden maintenance during August it will give you a head start to the upcoming season so you can sit back and relax as the flowers start to bloom.
Seasonal gardening tips to do this month
- Check the weather report and take advantage of any late August rains
- Turn over your soil and add a slow release fertiliser to your garden beds and lawn
- The best time to prune is towards the end of winter
- When pruning your plants, prune at a 45 degree angle – this will help plants recover more quickly and will limit the risk of pest and diseases inhabiting your plants
- Add compost to your vegetable and herb garden and fruit trees
- Pull out dead plants and trim hedges
- Apply a layer of mulch to your plants which will lock in moisture as the weather starts to warm up – an organic mulch is a good choice
- Purchase any seeds you wish to sow in spring
What seasonal vegetables to plant in September?
Vegetables to plant for spring are carrots, onions, lettuce, leeks, peas, Asian vegetables and beans.
It’s still cold outside, remember to rug up, keep warm and enjoy the winter sunshine while you tend to your garden and you’ll be able to reap the benefits come spring.