Seven tips to keep your garden flourishing this summer
- Mulch, mulch and more mulch – it goes without saying this month, add mulch to your garden beds to lock in moisture and prevent dehydration.
- Look after your grass – mow your lawn but not too short! Longer grass helps keep the root system cooler and your grass greener for longer.
- Water plants well all summer. As the Celsius begins to climb, your veggie patch will need regular watering – at least once or twice a day.
- It’s best to water in the morning or late afternoon to avoid root rot.
- Give your plants a boost by adding fertiliser before they start showing signs of heat stress.
- After your plants have finished flowering, it’s time to give them a trim.
- The weather bureau is suggesting temperatures are set to soar this summer – set aside some time on the cooler days to tackle any urgent jobs and then you can relax with friends, family and beloved pets on those balmy Melbourne nights!
Read more sustainable gardening tips
Summer is a great time to be spending time in your garden with little ones – check out our article on Youngsters in the yard
Did you know Under Permanent Water Use Rules you no longer have set watering days. Yay! There are still set days for watering systems though, check here.
Keep common pests in your garden at bay this season using natural pest control.
More seasonal gardening tips