What does a sustainable garden look like?
Want to be more productive in your vegetable garden? Seeking gardening ideas on how to get started? Then watch our ‘how to’ videos by customers’, Ellie Johnson – winner of our Healthy Urban Habitat sustainable gardening competition and finalist Yasir Muhammad.
Ellie shares her tips on keeping chickens in her sustainable garden.
More tips for keeping chickens in your sustainable garden
1. Chickens will help reduce your kitchen and food waste.
2. Use composted chook manure to enrich your garden soil.
3. Chickens make great pets – they’re low cost and family friendly.
4. Chickens need about 4 square feet per bird. Nesting boxes should be raised 2 inches off the ground.
5. Nesting boxes should provide privacy for chickens to lay their eggs. And convenient access to collect the eggs.
Get more tips for keeping chickens.
Learn how Yasir grows garlic in his vegetable garden.
Tips to harvest garlic
- When the lower leaves start to turn brown it’s time.
- Dig a few bulbs and see if the cloves fall out of their skins.
- Harvesting too soon will result in smaller bulbs.
Learn more about growing garlic here.
Find out how Ellie and Yasir’s sustainable gardening journey began. Watch more videos in the series here.
Or read more methods Ellie and Yasir have used into their sustainable garden. Including:
- organic gardening
- raised vegetable gardens
- water saving tips.
Read more sustainable gardening tips
- Seasonal Gardening Tips
- Vertical Gardening
- What soil can I expect to find in my backyard?
- Using greywater